Tuesday, January 19, 2010

CHILD! Would you please go to sleep!

So, Alex is 21 weeks now. We are getting closer and closer to sleeping through the night and I am anxiously awaiting the glorious time when that happens. Last week, there was one night that he slept from 11:30pm all the way until 6:30am!!!! Of course...I didn't sleep that whole time. I got up every couple of hours to make sure he was still breathing. I wasn't able to relax. I thought that one night of full sleep was the beginning of many nights and that finally after more than a year I might be able to actually sleep like a normal person from pm to am? Not so much...that was only one night.

He is getting ready to hit his stride, I can tell. But this morning at 3:30am when I had fed him and changed him and he STILL refused to go to sleep? I found myself at the end of my rope. Completely exhausted. Most times I am completely patient. But this morning I actually found myself getting aggravated with him. It's not his fault. WE just haven't figured out what is best for US to make the full nights sleep happen.

I put the baby down in the crib and paced the hallway to calm myself down so I could go in and sooth him. As I was pacing I considered the "let him cry it out" method. But I'm not sure I'm a fan of that. Well just as I was about to go back in and pick him up, he stopped crying and went back to sleep. This is about 4:30 now. So I went back to bed. At 5:30am he was awake cooing and just chilling out in his crib. So I woke up, put some toothpicks under my eyelids and managed to get myself into the shower. I stayed awake with him until about 7:30am when he got tired and I decided we both needed a nap. That nap helped. Sort of. It's 10:22am now and I feel like I need another nap.

When will the lack of sleep end? Ever?

No comments: